Welcome to Rate That Provider - St. Louis, Chicago. Click here to register

Why Am I Banned

Why Am I Banned

Unread post by Diveguy Founder » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:20 pm

You're probably not banned. After almost 7 years I have four people banned by username.

The big problem is I get spammers who join and try to post bullshit so I look up their IP address and at the beginning I would block that IP address. Then realized that IP addresses change and someone who is legitimate might get the blocked IP. Say if you went to a hotel. You'll have the same IP as everyone there if you use their WIFI.

Now I pay attention and recently I get them from overseas and the service they use is an ISP from Amsterdam. I've been blocking whole blocks of IPs.

I just had a guy yesterday ask why he was blocked and he is in Greece on vacation and he gave me his IP, which fell in range of the blocked list.

I cannot just block one IP as depending on how they set it up there could be hundreds of IPs the user could get.

If you get blocked on your phone try from computer, which should have a different IP range and see if you have the issue. Or vice versa.

If you can get me the IP address I can look to see if it is one of the US IPs and unblock that one. Otherwise, you'll just have to keep trying until you get a different IP.

But, you can also email me (admin@ratethatprovider.com) and ask. But, it is more useful if you could get the IP.

Diveguy the Holy One

Site Admin Diveguy
Site Admin

Have thanks: 483 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

{ SO_SELECT }

Re: Why Am I Banned

Unread post by victorious Executive Member » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:12 pm

Blocking by IP address is also a tricky game. Some of us might be using a VPN to protect our online identity and browsing habits. In some cases, I have used a VPN from other countries to access this site so I hope I don't get flagged. Just FYI. Thanks
Executive Member
I'm Offended Poster victorious
I'm Offended Poster

Have thanks: 8 times

Re: Why Am I Banned

Unread post by logan314 Executive Member » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:28 pm

As a Tor user, it would be great if you could unblock the Tor exit nodes. But I imagine the spammers use those nodes, too.
Executive Member
Baby Poster logan314
Baby Poster

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Read First